What is Ear Candling?
Ear Candling is the holistic way of treating ear aches and other common issues related to the ear. It is best defined as the use of an ear candle which is a beeswax or paraffin wax coated cloth that is shaped into a conical cylinder about 10” to 15” in length with varying widths. Ear Candling is a therapeutic relaxation technique similar to acupressure, acupuncture, and aromatherapy. Although many have found it to be safe and effective, as well as very relaxing, it should not replace medical treatment.
What is Ear Candling for?
Ear candling is a natural, non-intrusive procedure that may help alleviate the painful effects of chronic headaches, sinus conditions, allergies, vertigo, as well as minor hearing loss due to excessive earwax build up. It is said that ear candles can be used to alleviate symptoms ranging from simple ear aches, sinus infections, and sinus pressure, aiding sinusitis, releasing blocked energy, relieving pressure points of tension, and overall just being a soothing relaxing therapy. Ear candle practitioners do not claim that they cure these conditions, only that it will help to bring balance and promote healing. There are some myths regarding what happens during the candling experience. One of these is that the smoke enters the ear canal and softens the wax which is then drawn back up through the candle. This is the most common description of how candling works due to the fact that some of the wax from the candle itself may make its way down the inside of the cylinder and when cut open afterward is likely to resemble a waxy yellow substance that resembles ear wax.
Benefits of ear candling
- Relieving tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Helps to relieve sinus pain and pressure
- Removing excess wax build up
- Assisting with relieving Swimmers` ear
- Assisting with headaches
- Relieves severely itchy ears (often caused by yeast, mould or dairy allergies)
- Helps to unplug ears (often due to illness
- Hearing becomes sharper
- Drying of the ear drum area
- Balance and rejuvenation of the equilibrium (inner ear).
Other potential benefits may include improved lymphatic fluid flow through the body, improved colour perception, a more balanced emotional state and clearer thinking.It has also been reported that those who partake in ear candling experience an improved sense of taste as well as reduced pressure, which may be present in the ears due to a wax build up or infection.
Indications that Ear Candling may be beneficial to you or your family:
- Hearing loss caused by presence of secretions that block functioning, as in case of rhinitis, sinusitis, and otitis
- Ringing in the ears, buzzing caused by the presence of fluid
- Excess of cerumen (wax)
- Slow lymphatic circulation
- Irritation of the ear and of the inner ear
- Chronic Sinusitis
- Stress and irritability brought on by loud noises
- Nerve or hearing loss
- Poor balance, due to an off balance equilibrium (inner ear)
- Circulation problems in the ear
- Excessive itching of the ears